DF Adult Panel Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overall Conference Planning

5 posters

Go down

Overall Conference Planning Empty Overall Conference Planning

Post by Richard T Mon 18 Mar 2013 - 5:50

Peter, Maxine and I had further discussion after the meeting.
We agreed within the plan there were key topics that to some extent were interrelated but but also could be considered separately.
The major topics we thought of were:

Speakers: Who have we got "signed up"? who else could we approach? and how would they all fit together to provide a good spread of themes for the conference.

Venue: it is really good news that we have a venue reserved in the IBIS, it would be even better news if we could get one cheaper

Topics/Themes and Timetable: dependent to a substantial extent on the speakers and their expertise. We have at a very broad level and possibly Further and Higher education, Creativity and Dyspraxia, Employment issues, Criminal Justice System.

Marketing: How and when are the key points

Charges and Costs: Really dependent on the fees for the venue and the speakers, then we need to consider how many people we will get to come and how many will pay. We considered different categories of attendees: Professionals, Adults with dyspraxia (and I suppose parents/partners/friends), Concessions: and would look for different payment amounts from each. It is important to remember everyone who comes from the panel or the DF will likely attract a charge if a seat and lunch is provided.

There is more detail under each of these topics and some actions already in progress. We put some rough timing ideas together and I will post those here soon. Please add anything you can, when I go through my notes thoroughly there will be more from me too.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Overall Conference Planning Empty Re: Overall Conference Planning

Post by CMH Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 4:51

Nothing to add at the moment - just wanted to say thanks for posting. Looks nice and clear.

CMH

Back to top Go down

Overall Conference Planning Empty Mind map

Post by Richard T Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 6:51

Hi
I needed to get my thoughts around all the major items so drew a mindmap.
It is in Inspiration in the original but there is a PDF however I cant post it for a few days (Forum rules)
So put http in front of the following string for now

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6300767/Adult%20Conf.pdf

Paste the result into a browser and have a look. Please tell me through the forum or direct by email if you have any additional ideas on any of the topics

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 7:06

Hi
Already thought of a missing item - Exhibitors

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete K Sat 23 Mar 2013 - 0:09

On the topic Exhibitors; I think Eleanor and Lisa maybe able to offer some helpful input. I have sent them the links details of this forum.

Pete K

Back to top Go down

Post by lisa mccarthy Sat 23 Mar 2013 - 2:39

Eleanor and i now signed up Very Happy - may take me a while to get used to using a forum so pls be patient !

lisa mccarthy

Back to top Go down

Post by eleanorhowes Sat 23 Mar 2013 - 2:47

Dear all, A good meeting on Saturday but we do need to move quite quickly to confirm venue and speakers to agree final costs to delegates. The IbIS is fine but if we can manage to secure a free venue, that would be great hence the approach to the Coop and Sainsburys. We need to know total costs, ie speakers fees, travel, helpers on the day, equipment, catering so we can set a reasonable rate. I agree we can have a sliding scale of charges and we always offer reduced rate to members - professional or othewise. We can apply for funds to help but will need everthing in place to do so effectively.

The Hitchin team are used to organising conferences and taking bookings so can help with advertising, exhibitors, flyers, booking form and support with admin. However, we will need to add some costs for our time and resources - badges, delegate packs, handouts etc., Minimum of course!

See the action plan Lisa and I have sent out today following our meeting on Saturday. There are some pretty tight timescales for venue and speakers but I will be drafting 'Dyspraxia News' soon and can include details if we have them ready and it's a good opportunity to advertise to all our members.

Very pleased that we are moving forward. Facebook and Twitter will help enourmously so pleased we have almost 6,000 now on our main page.

eleanorhowes

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 4:20

Hi
I have updated my mind map again and hope you can now get it from the link below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6300767/Adult%20Conf.pdf

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by JanetTaylor Thu 4 Apr 2013 - 0:17

Richard you seem to have covered everything & looks like a good template if I have to plan a conference In Manchester for the DF or in my new job. please can you email me the inspirations version for future reference.

JanetTaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by eleanorhowes Fri 5 Apr 2013 - 2:01

We have emailed but just to confirm when looking at the room. The one provisionally booked for the adult conference is the one we had the GCM in. This holds 120 theater style but would leave no room for exhibitors. You could have an exhibition in another room but this is not ideal for those paying to exhibit, especially as the food will be served in the restaurant. Exhibitors like to be in the same room if possilbe to make the most of break times. We could thought have handout tables for literature to pick up so - basically against the back wall and not manned. The day delegate rate is £30 per person and you need to think about speakers fees and travel, helpers travel, admin including delegate packs, badges, handouts etc., We will work on some figures next week so you can factor this in when you have all speakers costs confirmed. Well done everyone, did not realise we had got so far over Easter!

eleanorhowes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete K Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:42

I had a phone discussion with Richard regarding venues the idea put forward by Richard via one of his contacts was to get a bigger venue but required money upfront which we don't have and a minimum number of 140 persons again this might be difficult to achieve. The Ibis hotel have set no minimum numbers and though a smaller venue have not asked for money upfront so on that basis; myself and Richard have agreed to go with the Ibis Hotel venue and have sent Eleanor an email to that effect as time is pressing and decisions need to be made....

Pete K

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete K Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:50

I have been going round businesses and organisations appealing for donation of prizes for our raffle and so far have done fairly well.....if anyone knows of anyone who might be in a position to get a donated prize for the raffle that will be great....I will email the panel and DF admin staff as to were I have tried to get prizes and were I have got prizes from.....

Pete K

Back to top Go down

Post by eleanorhowes Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 21:22

Just a note that the IBIS will be confirmed today @ £30 per person day delegate rate for Friday, 15th November. We can certainly mention in the newsletter which will go out shortly but will need confirmed speakers and their costs to work on a final cost per delegate. We will do some work on badges, delegate packs etc., so should be able to agree a final fee soon and take into account the usual 10% discount to DF members. We are getting there..Eleanor

eleanorhowes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum